Why The Temporary Work Is Worth It
If you are a temporary/contract employee, how can you get the most out of your contracting experience?
With the right attitude, temping can be a great experience. What’s even better is that temping can benefit you in every stage of your career path.
- You’re a recent college grad. Temping offers an opportunity to build your professional experience and skills. Think of it as a higher paid “internship!”
- You’re in transition or job search mode. What sounds better, earning a paycheck or sitting at home feeling anxious about your next move? Many contractors are offered full-time positions before their end date. Plus, the employers of where you’re contracting allow you to take time off for other interviews.
- You’ve moved to a new city. This can be a lonely time for some, but temping can allow you to meet new people while adjusting to the workplace.
Many contractors understand the advantage of contract work. You may ask yourself, will you be treated as “just a temp?” Will you feel like an outsider that doesn’t get included?
We have found that if a contractor takes the initiative, they are sure to gain every advantage including learning new skills and industries, expanding your network, and even ending up with an offer at a company (that you love). We’ve seen it happen, time after time. It’s up to YOU, the candidate, to be included!
For the last 30 years, our candidates have shared their experiences when temping with us. We’ve seen consistent patterns, and the varying approaches predict who will come out successful, and who is left feeling like an outsider.
If you still aren’t convinced, check out these eye-opening facts about Temporary and Contract work, brought to you by the American Staffing Association:
- During the course of a year, America’s staffing companies hire nearly 15 million temporary and contract employees.
- Nine out 10 said staffing work made them more employable.
- One-third (35%) were offered a permanent job by a client where they worked on an assignment.
To all of our SSI contract employees, we value your feedback more than you know. If you have a story or advice to share, we happily encourage you to share your experiences! Furthermore, if you are someone who is interested in contracting and temp work, check out website listing all of our opportunities. We would be honored to help you in your next job search!
Questions? Call us!