Changing the Working Directory in Word
When you first install Word, the working directory is set to a default directory, which is normally “My Documents.” You may want to change the default location to match your working habits. You can quickly change the default startup directory by following these steps:
- Display the Word Options dialog box. (In Word 2007 click the Office button and then click Word Options. In Word 2010 and Word 2013 display the File tab of the ribbon and then click Options.)
- At the left side of the dialog box click Save.
- To the right of the Default File Location field (Word 2007) or the Default Local File Location field (later versions of Word), click the Browse button. Word displays a dialog box in which you can browse and select directories.
- Select the directory you want to be used as the startup directory for your documents.
- Click on the OK button to select the directory.
- Click on the OK button to close the Word Options dialog box.
- Exit and restart Word.